Beach chairs provide a comfortable and convenient way to relax on the beach, and can be useful for reading, sunbathing, or watching the waves. They are designed to be lightweight and easy to carry, with features such as adjustable reclining positions, built-in cup holders, and storage pockets. If you prefer to spend your day on the beach with a beach chair, read this buying guide to find the perfect beach chair.
7 used from $22.02
- Lightweight: 5.3 lb..Assembly required
- Hours of comfort: Relaxed back rest with full seat support
- Convenient storage: Seatback pocket and cup holder
- Dimensions: 21 in. Wide; 10 in. High
- Built to last: Steel frame supports up to 250 lb.
- Carry bag: Included for easy storage
What to Consider When Choosing A Beach Chair?
Beach Chair Types
There are several types of beach chairs available in the market, each with its own unique features and designs to suit different preferences and needs. Here are some of the most common types of beach chairs:
Backpack beach chairs
These chairs feature a lightweight and compact design, with backpack straps for easy transportation. They usually come with storage pockets for storing essentials like sunscreen, water bottles or personal belongings.
Low-profile beach chairs
Low-profile beach chairs have a design that either features very small legs or sits close to the sand.
They are lightweight, compact, and easy to transport and usually come with a collapsible design.
They are also great for beachgoers who want to feel like they are part of the action, as the low profile allows them to stay close to the ground and is ideal for enjoying a more intimate experience with the sand and waves.
However, one of the downsides of low-profile beach chairs is that they can be difficult for some people, especially those with reduced mobility, to get in and out of. It’s essential to consider your individual needs and preferences before choosing any beach chair.
High-back beach chairs
High-profile beach chairs are generally taller and thicker, and their design is more similar to camping chairs. These chairs offer more support for the back and head, which makes them a better choice if you plan to do more reading or lounging on the beach. They are great for use on uneven surfaces, and because of their height, it’s easier to sit upright and get in and out of them.
One of the drawbacks of high-profile beach chairs is that they can be heavier and bulkier than low-profile beach chairs, making them less portable and more challenging to transport.
Reclining beach chairs
These chairs come with adjustable reclining positions, which allow you to sit upright, and recline partially or fully, depending on your desired comfort level.
Canopy beach chairs
These chairs have an attached canopy or shade that helps protect you from direct sunlight or harmful UV rays. This makes them a good choice for those who prefer to spend extended periods at the beach without direct sun exposure.
Lounger beach chairs
These chairs are designed for maximum comfort, with features such as a footrest, adjustable headrest, and full-length recline positions.
Beach Chair Materials
Beach chairs can be made from a variety of materials. The material used affects the durability, comfort, and overall quality of the chair. Here are some of the most common materials used in beach chairs:
Beach frame material
- Aluminium: Beach chairs made of aluminium frames are lightweight, easy to transport, and resistant to rust and corrosion. They are the most popular option for beach chairs because of their excellent strength-to-weight ratio.
- Steel:Beach chairs made from steel frames are sturdy and durable but can be heavier than aluminium chairs. Steel is ideal for chairs with higher weight capacities and stability.Steel frames can be quite susceptible to corrosion from the sand and salt of the beach, particularly if they are not properly cared for. The salt content of the beach sand can react with the metal in the chair frame, leading to rust and corrosion that can weaken the frame and cause it to fail. It is essential to clean your steel beach chair after each use on the beach. And dry the chair thoroughly to remove any moisture that could promote rust and corrosion. If you have a beach chair with removable fabric, take it off and wash it separately to ensure that sand and salt don’t accumulate and cause damage to the chair frame.Another way to prevent corrosion is to apply a rust inhibitor, coat or wax to the metal frame. These products create a barrier between the steel and the beach sand and salt, reducing the likelihood of corrosion. You can find these products at most hardware stores or online.
If you notice any signs of corrosion, such as rusted areas or weakening of the frame, it’s best to replace the chair. A compromised frame can pose a safety risk and is not worth the risk of injury.
- Wood: Beach chairs made from wood are ideal for those who prefer a more natural look. They are sturdy, long-lasting, and can provide a classic beach aesthetic but are heavy and less portable. You might need more care for wood beach chairs, as wood frames tend to crack, fade, chip and rot in the sun or rain.
- Plastic: Beach chairs made from plastic are lightweight, easy to clean, and durable. They are great for kids’ beach chairs or as cheap, disposable options for casual use and beach trips.
When choosing a beach chair frame material, it is essential to consider the weight, portability, rust and corrosion resistance, and overall durability. A sturdy frame material ensures that the chair remains stable and comfortable, even on uneven terrain. Lightweight options are convenient for transportation and portability, while heavier frames allow for a higher weight capacity. Additionally, frames made of materials that are resistant to rust or corrosion are ideal for beach use to withstand the harsh saltwater and sand environment.
Beach chair seat material
The seat material of a beach chair is also an essential factor to consider, as it affects the chair’s comfort, durability, and breathability. Here are some of the most common seat materials for beach chairs:
- Polyester: Polyester is a popular choice for beach chair seats. It is durable, easy to clean, and dries quickly. Polyester seats can tolerate sun, saltwater, and sand well.
- Nylon: Nylon is lightweight, strong, and dries quickly, making it an ideal material for beach chair seats.
- Mesh: Mesh is an excellent option for beach chairs, as it is breathable and allows for air circulation. Mesh seats can be comfortable and durable for extended use.
- Cotton: Beach chairs made of cotton seats provide exceptional comfort, but their low-weather resistance properties make them less ideal for beach environments.
- PVC: Chairs with PVC seats are waterproof and easy to clean, making them a great option for kids’ beach chairs.
- Wicker: Beach chairs made from wicker are stylish and comfortable. However, they are not as durable as metal or plastic and may not be suitable for long-term use.
When choosing a beach chair seat material, it is essential to consider the material’s durability, comfort, breathability, and ease of cleaning. High-quality materials will provide comfort, stability, and support, and withstand the harsh weather conditions of beach environments. Durable materials are also ideal for regular and extended use. Beach chair seats should be breathable and offer good ventilation to avoid sweating and discomfort in hot weather.
Beach Chair Size
Beach chair size is essential to consider when choosing a comfortable and suitable option for your body type, height, and weight. Here are some key size factors to consider when selecting a beach chair:
- Seat Width: The seat width of the chair will determine how comfortable you are. Chairs with larger seat widths can provide extra space for individuals who need more room to move or stretch out.
- Seat Height: Chairs with higher seat heights can provide better back support, making it more comfortable for people with back problems or those who want to sit upright.
- Seat and Backrest Depth: The depth of the seat and backrest determines how much support the chair will offer. Beach chairs with deeper seats and backrests can provide better comfort and support.
- Weight: Beach chairs’ weight can vary, and heavier chairs can be more durable and stable, but they might not be as portable or easily transported. Lighter chairs can be more straightforward to carry but might not be as sturdy as heavier chairs.
- Folded Size: Beach chairs’ folded size is essential when it comes to transportation and storage. If you have limited storage or carrying capacity, look for chairs that fold down to a compact size to make transportation easier.
When choosing a beach chair, consider your specific needs and preferences, as well as the type of activities you plan to do at the beach. Comfort, support, stability, and portability are essential factors to consider when choosing the right size of beach chair for you. It is essential to ensure that the chair is suitable for your body type and preferences to make your time at the beach as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.
The weight capacity of a beach chair is an important factor to consider, especially if you or others who will use the chair are larger or heavier. The weight capacity determines how much weight a chair can support without buckling, breaking, or becoming unstable.
Most beach chairs’ weight capacity ranges from around 200 to 300 pounds, although some models can support over 500 pounds. When choosing a beach chair based on weight capacity, it is essential to consider the chair’s frame and the materials used in its construction.
Aluminum and steel frames are sturdier and offer higher weight capacity than wooden frames. Materials such as durable polyester, nylon, or mesh, instead of cotton or low-quality synthetic materials, can make for a more sturdy and durable seat.
Apart from the weight capacity, it is also important to check the seat dimensions and overall size of the chair to ensure that it is spacious enough and comfortable to sit on irrespective of the user’s size. Larger beach chairs are often built with a higher weight capacity to accommodate users with fuller figures.
It is crucial to choose a beach chair with an appropriate weight capacity to ensure that you are safe and comfortable when using it. Overloading a chair with weight can be dangerous and cause accidents or injuries.
Beach chair portability is a crucial factor to consider when choosing a chair for outdoor activities. Here are some important features to consider when selecting a portable beach chair:
The weight of the beach chair should be a primary concern when looking for portability. Lightweight chairs are generally easier to carry and transport and are less bulky.
The dimensions of the chair when it’s folded down will affect how easy it is to transport or store. Compact designs with fewer moving parts are easier to fold and unfold, with some chairs even featuring backpack-style straps.
Carrying a chair by hand can be difficult, especially if you have other items to transport. Some chairs come with built-in straps or bags for easy transportation.
When looking for portability, lightweight materials many times are prioritized. However, this does not mean sacrificing durability. Choose a beach chair made from high-quality materials that are designed to resist wear and tear.
Consider purchasing a chair that is not only comfortable to sit in but also adjustable to your height or preference. Look out for models with adjustable seat heights, reclining features, and secure locking mechanisms.
When selecting a beach chair for portability, consider your preferences and the typical activities you do when going to the beach. Compact, lightweight, and durable beach chairs are ideal for transportation, especially for extended walking distances. Remember carrying too many bulky items can take away from the fun of your beach trip, so choosing a beach chair that folds up neatly should be a priority.
Beach chairs with reclining features are designed to help users adjust the position of the chair into a more comfortable reclined position. This can be especially helpful if you want to get comfortable and enjoy panoramic beach views, read a book, or take a nap.
The main benefit of a reclining beach chair’s feature is that it allows for customizable comfort. You can adjust the backrest to your preferred position and find the most comfortable angle for your body. Reclining beach chairs can be used for various activities such as sunbathing, napping, reading, or enjoying views of the beach. Reclining chairs can be beneficial for individuals with back problems, offering additional support and minimizing strain and stress on their spine.
However, reclining beach chairs can be more expensive than traditional beach chairs. They can be heavier and bulkier than traditional chairs, leading to decreased portability. Also, they may have limited weight capacity and size options. A reclining chair lacks stability when compared to a standard chair. As a result, it requires more mobility and balance control to get in and out.
When choosing a beach chair with reclining features, it is essential to consider your specific needs and preferences. Ensure that the chair is durable, offers sufficient support and has comfortable padding. Additionally, it is helpful to select models that are rust-resistant and have an adjustable canopy to block harsh sun rays. Having a reclining beach chair can significantly enhance your beach experience by allowing you to relax and unwind comfortably.
Is Beach Sand Corrosive to My Beach Chair?
Yes, beach sand can be corrosive to your beach chair, particularly to the chair’s frame. This is because sand contains salt, which can cause or accelerate the corrosion of metal components. While some beach chairs are made with rustproof materials, exposure to salt and moisture can still cause some degradation over time. The salt present in beach sand can react with the metal components of the chair frame, causing rust and corrosion.
When cleaning your beach chair after you’re done using it on the beach, make sure to remove all the sand and salt residue from the frame. You can use a brush or rag to scrape off any sand or salt that might have accumulated around the frame, ensuring you reach all the crevices. You should also follow the manufacturer’s instructions on the care and maintenance of your beach chair. This may include using a rust inhibitor, coating or oil to protect the metal frame from corrosion.
If you want to prevent corrosion from damaging your beach chair, you can choose a chair with a non-metallic frame, such as a plastic, wood or aluminium chair, as these materials are less prone to corrosion. Make sure you select a chair that is durable and can support your weight comfortably. With proper care, you can extend the life of your beach chair and continue to enjoy its benefits for many seasons to come.
How Can I Clean My Beach Chair After Use On The Beach?
After using your beach chair on the beach, it is essential to clean and store it appropriately to maintain its quality and prevent corrosion. Here are some steps to follow when cleaning your beach chair:
- Prepare a Cleaning Solution: Fill a large bucket with warm water and dish soap or mild detergent, then stir until the solution forms suds.
- Remove Sand and Debris: Use a brush, rag or broom to remove any sand or debris from the chair.
- Clean the Chair: To clean the chair, dip a sponge or rag into the cleaning solution and scrub the chair’s surface gently. Ensure that you cover all parts of the chair, including the frame and fabric.
- Rinse the Chair: After cleaning the chair, rinse it thoroughly with clean water to remove any soap residue. It’s important to remove all soap residue, as any remaining suds may lead to mold and mildew growth.
- Dry the Chair: Dry the chair completely with a clean, dry cloth. You can also leave it to air-dry outdoors, but avoid direct sunlight, as this can cause discolouration or fading.
- Store your Chair: Once your beach chair is clean and dry, store it in a dry, cool area, away from direct sunlight, moisture or humidity. For metal frames, you can use a rust inhibitor and cover to protect them from future corrosion.
Cleaning your beach chair regularly after use will help prevent any salt build-up that can lead to corrosion and ensure that it is ready for your next usage. A well-maintained beach chair can last for years, providing you with the comfort and support you need for an enjoyable day at the beach.