On a hot summer day, there’s nothing better than opening the door to let in the fresh air. But with the bugs come the mosquitoes, and who wants to be covered in bites? That’s where screen doors come in.
Screen doors let the breeze in while keeping the bugs out. They’re also more secure than leaving your door open, so you can relax and enjoy the outdoors without worrying about someone coming in uninvited.
When choosing a screen door, there are a few things to consider. Do you want a hinged door with a solid frame or a magnetic screen that’s easy to pop in and out? What size do you need to fit your doorway? And do you want the style of the door to match the rest of your home?
No matter what your needs are, there’s a screen door out there that’s perfect for you. So don’t sweat the heat this summer. Just open the door and enjoy the fresh air!
What To Consider When Choosing Screen Doors?
When choosing a screen door, there are a few things to consider, including:
There are three main types of screen doors: hinged, sliding, and retractable. Hinged screen doors are the most common type, and they swing open and close like a regular door. Sliding screen doors slide open and closed along a track, and retractable screen doors roll up into a housing when they’re not in use.
There are many different types of screen doors available, each with its own advantages and disadvantages. Here are some of the most common types:
Hinged screen doors
These are the most common type of screen doors. They swing open and closed like a regular doors. Hinged screen doors are easy to install and maintain, and they’re a good option for small doorways. Hinged screen doors are available in a variety of colors and styles, so you can find one that matches the look of your home.
Sliding screen doors
These screen doors slide open and closed along a track. Sliding screen doors are a good option for large doorways, and they can be easier to open and close than hinged screen doors.
Retractable screen doors
These screen doors roll up into a housing when they’re not in use. Retractable screen doors are a good option for large doorways that are frequently used, and they can help to save space. Retractable screen doors are available in a variety of materials, including aluminum, vinyl, and fiberglass. They can also be customized to match the style of your home.
Magnetic screen doors
These screen doors are held closed by magnets. Magnetic screen doors are a good option for doorways that are used frequently, and they’re easy to install, remove, and maintain. They fit most doorframes, even non-standard sizes. However, they are not the most attractive options and may not be ideal for French or sliding doors.
Security screen doors
These screen doors are made from stronger materials and have features that make them more difficult to break into. Security screen doors are a good option for homes that are located in high-crime areas.
When choosing a screen door, it’s important to consider the type of door that will best fit your needs. You should also consider the material, size, and style of the door.
Screen doors come in a variety of sizes, so it’s important to measure your doorway before you buy one. You’ll also need to decide whether you want a single or double-screen door.
To measure your doorway, you’ll need a measuring tape. First, measure the width of the doorway from the inside of the left jamb to the inside of the right jamb. Then, measure the height of the doorway from the top of the jamb to the bottom of the jamb.
Once you have your measurements, you can start shopping for a screen door. When you’re shopping, be sure to compare the measurements of the screen door to the measurements of your doorway. Make sure that the screen door is at least as wide and tall as your doorway.
If you’re not sure what size screen door you need, you can always ask a salesperson for help. They’ll be able to help you find the perfect screen door for your needs. With proper care, your screen door can last for many years.
Screen doors can be made from a variety of materials, including wood, aluminum, fiberglass, and vinyl.
- Wood: Wood is a traditional material that is often used for screen door frames. It is available in a variety of finishes, and it can be stained or painted to match the style of your home. However, wood is more susceptible to damage from the elements than other materials.
- Aluminum: Aluminum screen doors are lightweight, more durable, and resistant to weather and corrosion, but they can be more expensive.
- Stainless steel: Stainless steel is a popular choice for door frame material because it is durable, rust-resistant, and low maintenance. It is also available in a variety of finishes to match any home décor. However, stainless steel can be heavy, so it is important to consider the weight of the door frame when choosing a material.
- Vinyl: Vinyl screen doors are lightweight and resistant to the elements and they are the least expensive options, but they may not be as durable as other materials.
- Fiberglass: Fiberglass is a strong and durable material that is resistant to corrosion and rot. It is also relatively lightweight, making it a good choice for screen door frames. However, fiberglass can be more expensive than other materials.
Screen doors can be made from a variety of screen materials, including polyester, fiberglass, plastic, and metal.
- Polyester screens are often found on magnetic screen doors. They’re lightweight and fairly durable, but they can be ripped or torn.
- Vinyl-coated polyester screens are more durable than plain polyester screens. They’re sometimes called “super screens” because they’re so tough.
- Fiberglass screens are the most durable type and don’t dent. They can be woven very finely to keep out even the tiniest insects and some types of pollen, but they can be more expensive.
- Plastic screens are less expensive than fiberglass screens, but they may not be as durable.
- Metal screens are made of stainless steel or aluminum. They are extremely tough, but they are the least expensive option, and they may not be as effective at keeping out bugs.
Screen doors come in a variety of styles, so you can find one that matches the look of your home. You can choose from traditional, contemporary, or even rustic styles to complement your home decor.
Built-in Pet Doors
Screen door pet doors are a great way to let your furry friends enjoy the outdoors without letting in bugs or other pests.
There are many different types of screen door pet doors available, so you can find one that is the perfect size and style for your home and your pet.
The size of the pet door should be big enough for your pet to easily go in and out, but not so big that other animals, such as raccoons or cats, can get in.
Some screen door pet doors come with additional features, such as flaps that prevent the door from swinging open too far, locks that keep the door closed when you don’t want your pet to go outside, and weatherstripping that helps to keep out bugs and other pests. Choose the features that are most important to you.
Screen door storm panels are a great way to protect your home from the elements. They are made of durable materials that can withstand strong winds, rain, and snow. Screen door storm panels can also help to keep out bugs and other pests.
Security screens are a great way to add an extra layer of security to your home. They are made of strong materials that can make it more difficult for burglars to break in. They also come with additional features, such as locks, hinges, and weather stripping.
Security screens can help to keep out unwanted visitors, such as solicitors and strangers. This can help to keep your family safe and secure. They can help to keep out bugs and other pests, such as mosquitoes, flies, and spiders. This can help to improve your family’s health and comfort. Security screens are available in a variety of styles and materials, so you can find one that fits your needs and budget.
Do I Need To Hire A Professional to Install Screen Doors?
Screen doors do not necessarily need professional installation. In fact, many people choose to install their own screen doors in order to save money. If you are comfortable with DIY projects and have the necessary tools, you can easily install a screen door yourself.
Here are some tips for installing a screen door yourself:
- Measure carefully. Make sure to measure the door frame accurately before you purchase a screen door. This will ensure that the screen door fits properly.
- Choose the right tools. You will need a drill, a screwdriver, a tape measure, and a level.
- Follow the instructions. Most screen doors come with instructions that will walk you through the installation process.
- Take your time. There is no need to rush when installing a screen door. Take your time and do it right.
If you are not comfortable installing a screen door yourself, you can always hire a professional to do it for you. This will cost more money, but it will ensure that the job is done correctly.
Is The Screen Door Lockable?
Yes, some screen doors are lockable. The type of lock that is used will vary depending on the manufacturer and the style of the screen door. Some common types of locks include:
- Thumb locks: These locks are located on the inside of the screen door and are operated by a thumb turn.
- Deadbolt locks: These locks are located on the outside of the screen door and are operated by a key.
- Magnetic locks: These locks are located on the inside and outside of the screen door and are held closed by magnets.
The type of lock that is best for you will depend on your needs and preferences. If you are looking for a high level of security, a deadbolt lock is the best option. If you are looking for a more convenient option, a magnetic lock may be a better choice.
It is important to note that not all screen doors are lockable. If you are unsure whether or not your screen door is lockable, you should check the manufacturer’s instructions.
Should I Remove Screen Door In Winter?
Whether or not you should remove your screen door in the winter depends on a few factors, including your climate and your personal preferences.
In cold climates, snow, and ice can build up on screen doors, putting stress on the screen and the door frame. This can lead to damage to the screen door and the door frame. Additionally, the cold weather can weaken the screen material, making it more likely to tear.
If you live in a cold climate, it is a good idea to remove your screen door in the winter. This will help to protect your screen door from damage and extend its lifespan.
If you live in a warm climate, you may not need to remove your screen door in the winter. However, you may want to consider doing so if you are concerned about the screen door becoming damaged by the cold weather.
Ultimately, the decision of whether or not to remove your screen door in the winter is up to you. Weigh the pros and cons of each option and decide what is best for your home.
Here are some of the pros and cons of removing your screen door in the winter:
- Protects your screen door from damage
- Extends the lifespan of your screen door
- May save you money on repairs or replacement
- You will need to reinstall the screen door in the spring
- You may have to deal with bugs and other pests
- You may have to pay someone to remove and reinstall the screen door for you
If you decide to remove your screen door in the winter, here are a few tips:
- Remove the screen door carefully to avoid damaging it.
- Store the screen door in a dry, cool place.
- Reinstall the screen door in the spring when the weather warms up.
How Long Can A Screen Door Last?
The lifespan of a screen door can vary depending on a number of factors, including the quality of the materials, the climate, and how often it is used. In general, however, a screen door can last anywhere from 5 to 15 years.
If you want to extend the lifespan of your screen door, there are a few things you can do:
- Choose high-quality materials. Aluminum is the most durable material, but it is also the most expensive. Vinyl is the least durable material, but it is also the least expensive. Fiberglass is a good middle ground between aluminum and vinyl.
- Install the screen door properly. Make sure that the screen door is level and that the frame is secure.
- Maintain the screen door regularly. Clean the screen door regularly to remove dirt, debris, and insects. Repair any tears or holes in the screen as soon as possible.
- Store the screen door properly when it is not in use. If you live in a cold climate, you may want to remove the screen door in the winter and store it in a dry, cool place.
By following these tips, you can extend the lifespan of your screen door and keep it looking and working like new for years to come.